Want to help clean up Utah’s air and get a huge discount on a clean-burning appliance for your home? Exchange your wood stove for a gas appliance and UCAIR will provide a $1,000 discount on your purchase. The first 80 residents of Weber, Davis, Salt Lake, Eastern Tooele and Utah counties to apply will receive the discount.
The Show UCAIR Wood Stove Exchange is a voluntary $1,000 discount program for residents of Weber, Davis, Salt Lake, Eastern Tooele and Utah Counties.
About the Program
- The program is voluntary and not linked to any rule or ordinance.
- Homeowners have a positive option for contributing to clean air.
- Burning wood emits hundreds of times more particulate matter than heating with natural gas. It is a significant contributor to the Wasatch Front’s winter-time inversion challenge.
- Burning wood emits harmful particulate matter and partially combusted hydrocarbons. This is harmful to your family, your neighborhood and your community.
- Exchanging 80 wood stoves for clean-burning gas appliances will eliminate 3.77 tons or 7462 pounds of harmful emissions the first year. The average life of a gas stove is 40 years, so over the lifetime of the stove, that is a reduction of 150.8 tons or 298,480 pounds.
- The home must be located in a residential neighborhood
- The home must be a primary residence (no summer homes or cabins)
- Old stove must be operable and regularly used
- Old stove must be a free standing wood stove or wood-burning stove insert
- Open fireplaces with a grate and not a wood-burning insert, are not eligible at this time
- Natural gas or propane service must already be in place
- New appliance must be natural gas or propane (no EPA approved wood or pellet units)
- Old stove or insert must be destroyed and proof provided
- New appliance must be professionally installed
- Installers must comply with all local, state and federal guidelines, laws and building codes
- After ALL reading program rules, homeowner submits application
- UCAIR completes initial inspection of home to verify old stove is operable and in use
- UCAIR collects details on wood usage
- UCAIR approves application and issues $1,000 voucher
- Homeowner takes voucher to one of the approved vendors listed below. The voucher is only valid at approved vendors.
- Homeowner selects from eligible gas or propane stoves or inserts (must have intermittent pilot ignition/electronic ignition)
- Vendor secures funding for all but $1,000 of the cost of device and installation
- Vendor installs device, complying with all local, state and federal guidelines, laws and building codes
- Vendor delivers stove to destruction site and obtains proof of destruction
- Vendor delivers proof of destruction to UCAIR
- UCAIR pays vendor $1,000